Friday, January 11, 2013

The Walking Stink



Very quick post this time around, Folks.  I've been given some work that's quite pleasantly taking up most of me time, and extraordinarily grateful to get it, especially in this competitive economy of ours.  Although, it doesn't leave a whole lot of time for keepin' my eye out for the local Stink-eye while documenting it for charity, and let me tell you I should be well into 2015 before I run out of those stories that have been piling up. =)

I've started research to create a Characterizations class, that (if there's an angel lookin' out for this poor monkey's hard work when I finish) will run in the schedule for the next school year at the PNCA. =)  So this time, it's a quick look into a character from Kirkman, Moore and Adlard's, Eisner Award winning, The Walking Dead.  This portrait of Michonne, is of course from the AMC adaptation, but while sketching actress Danai Gurira's devastatingly blatant and katana slicing Stink-Eye, I noticed a few things; her furrowed/aggressive brow, and corragator muscle, paired with her lips in a scowl, elongate her face quite a bit.  I looked at a pic of the actress smiling wide, and I was almost mistaken that it was someone else completely? She is a strong character by narrative and action from the moment she appears, but like any character with dreads, she has a constant framing of her facial features. This sort of "bakes" in any expression you give her with high contrast.  A classical noir trait that our brains are wired to focus in on, and with that amount of Stink-Eye popping off, Michonne is bound to draw the viewers eyes wherever she leads them, whether they want to or not!

I hope everyone's having a brilliantly, zombie apocalypse free 2013 so far, and stay tuned for the next installment of seathingly skin rotting, blatantly brutal, and cunningly chiaroscuro'ed  Stink-Eye!

Danai Gurira's Michonne from AMC's Walking Dead
Graphite and Conte' on Paper,
10 x 11in. - $40.oo

No comments:

Post a Comment